Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Urban Homesteading

I came across this article tonight when I should have been getting ready for bed. This is the kind of thing I'm really looking forward to someday when I actually have a yard; using it to its full potential! Of course, I love my ornamentals far too much to ignore their important place in the landscape, but it would be great to garden an entire yard edge to edge.

It seems like Denver is really helping people make a shift to greater self-sufficiency by including drip irrigation and root cellars in new developments. That's awesome! I would love to see a developer here in Michigan doing something similar. Aside from the obvious benefits of growing your own food there would be residual perks like more interaction with your neighbors. Trading veggies and tips to help increase our sense of community; I think they're on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback!